The aim of physiotherapy is to help restore movement and normal body function in cases of illness, injury and disability.
Physiotherapists take a holistic approach, looking at the body as a whole rather than focusing on the individual factors of an injury or illness. The person being treated is directly involved in their own care.
Physiotherapists treat people of all ages, helping them manage pain and using a number of methods to aid recovery.
Although they’re often thought of as just dealing with musculoskeletal problems, physiotherapists are trained healthcare professionals who work in many areas, including:
- long-term conditions
- breathing problems
- men’s and women’s health (including incontinence)
- recovery after major surgery
- orthopaedics and trauma
- chronic pain
- workplace health
- care of the elderly
- education and health promotion
Some of the approaches they use include:
- movement and exercise – taking into account a person’s current level of health and their specific requirements
- manual therapy techniques – where the physiotherapist helps recovery by using their hands to relieve muscle pain and stiffness, and encourage blood flow to an injured part of the body
- other techniques – such as heat, cold, electrotherapy and acupuncture to help ease pain
A physiotherapist will look at your individual situation. As well as treating the problem, they may also suggest things you can do on a daily basis to help relieve pain and discomfort. They may also give you advice about how to prevent the injury re-occurring.
There’s also evidence to show that manual therapy is beneficial in treating some types of musculoskeletal conditions, such as long-term back pain (where the pain lasts for longer than six weeks).
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) advises that manual therapy can be used to treat persistent lower back pain.
Our Physiotherapy Clinic Services
The West Wimbledon Physiotherapy Clinic aims to provide a selection of services to maintain and enhance health and wellbeing. Although primarily a physiotherapy clinic, a range of other treatments are available.